Thursday 3 June 2010

Medical trip: Day 3

Rang the hospital this morning.
They said the Old Man was out of bed and sitting up in a chair - "under protest".

Under Protest?
Huh. They don't know yet the meaning of the word, is what I am thinking. Not as far as the Old Man is concerned.

We got a well wish card just before he went into hospital from someone who knows him well. Hoping to see him again soon - "full of spit & vinegar". Fine turn of phrase I thought.

Another friend said that the Old Man's first message to The Doll being "Water the chillies" sounded very him. They hoped that I hadn't expected something more romantic.
More romantic and I would have been admitted into hospital myself.
No. No.

I was always fond of the songwriting of Randy Newman. And had a particular fondness for "You Can Leave Your Hat On ". A lovesong that requested the love object took off their coat, their shoes, stand on this chair…that’s right.......Yes.. yes.. shake 'em....
"You give me a reason to live, you give me a reason to live" the writer sings.

In the Old Man's case, slowly revolving on that chair would be a large healthy chilli plant, strung with luscious red fruits...

"Shake 'em. Shake'em.... You give me a reason to live. Yes, Yes."

No comments: