Friday 7 January 2011

Animated discussions : Japan

And by the way... all this travel to Japan through the eyes of Ozu and Hirokasu Kore-eda which repeat the images of piled up buildings, steep steps, railways and roads? Well, I experience a weird overlay of the cloud-swept, steep townscapes of some Japanese anime films. Most notably the Studio Ghibli animations. And the sound of the wind in the trees and the high-pitched cicadas are all there too.

Why do I think of this? Well I watch "Whisper of the Heart" - all to myself - and see and hear these very things. This animated film is written by Hayao Miyazaki, and directed by Yoshifumi Kondo. And I'm really glad I take time out on a cold rainy afternoon to watch it. I'll never grow up.

You can watch a trailer for "Whisper..." by clicking here.

No comments: