Wednesday 12 January 2011

Animated Discussions: When in France...

Because of the aforementioned quality probs with our recent broadcast entertainment - we are watching an awful lot of DVDs.

This time it is my turn to choose. And I go for animation: Sylvain Chomet's 2003 feature "Belleville Rendez-vous" ...original title: "Les Triplettes de Belleville". (I posted about "The Illusionist", his latest film in another Animated Discussion back in August.)

On the outskirts of Paris, Granny raises her grandson, Champion, and eventually unlocks a passion for cycling that leads to his taking part in the Tour de France. Granny's devoted training, massaging, and mechanical skills take her on the Tour as well - and drama strikes. Kidnap, transoceanic chases, the streets of New York, the French mafia, and the legendary Belleville Triplets - jazz-singing crones with an inventive repertoire of frog cuisine. No need for language - the story unfolds in gesture, expression, and sound.

I love Granny. But above all... above all... I love the wonderful hound, Bruno. This is a hound so real in his obsessions, whimperings, sighs, fat stomach and spindly legs - that I can almost smell him. This is a dog with a dream-life. I love him.

If you want to see a clip from Belleville Rendez-Vous .... click here.

No comments: