Monday 12 March 2012

Graphic Passions: "Moebius" - Jean Giraud 1938-2012



A bit of a genius be Jean Giraud but now sadly died 10 March.

This is a trailer for a 2007 documentary about Giraud (aka Gir, aka Moebius) that I did see a year or so ago. As well as the "bandes dessinee" (comics) he worked on the costume designs for "Alien", input into "Tron" and influences upon other sci-fi films.

And Oh but I wish his collaboration with Alejandro Jodorowsky for a film of "Dune" had made it to the big screen.

First fame as Gir - with his anti-hero cowboy, Blueberry. Later he set up with others the magazine "Metal Hurlant" ("Heavy Metal") and explored sci-fi and fantasy. He also collaborated with Rene Laloux on his full-length animated movie "Les Maitres du Temps". About which.... more later.

For another YouTube tribute/taster try clicking through this link.

But me... I'm off to get me some of his graphics.....


No comments: