Thursday 10 December 2015

A Night Out: More Opera At The Cinema

We are taking advantage of the live broadcast from Covent Garden again... via our local cinema in Penzance. This time it is The Old Man who makes an agonisingly slow decision to have a go at "Cav & Pag" - more properly known as the pairing of two short operas: "Cavalleria Rusticana" by Mascagni and Leoncavallo's "Pagliacci".
In truth I don't know anything about the "Cav" bit and can only think of clips of numerous well-known tenors taking turns to be tragic in pierrot clown suits for the "Pag" offering. So... as with all things so familiar as to be parodied on a regular basis ... I am a bit reluctant to try them out. But a new production directed by Damiano Michieletto and a night away from the Telly means I say yes and off we will go. I tell you these live broadcasts be a lifesaver for those of us who fancy some big opera but live in ruralia far from the big theatres.

PS. I'd like to have found you a trailer but to be honest the Opera House trailer be like a short advert clip promoting tours of Italy. Oh my word... just thought... perhaps that was the intention? I do keep getting caught out by the possibilities of irony....

No comments: